I started coming down with a bad cold yesterday:( My head felt like a drum was beating inside, and my nose like a big balloon! I hate it when I am sick!
The only thing that was on my mind on my way home from the office was that I needed Freekeh Soup. It is so good, especially when you are down with a cold.
|Freekeh Soup; so comfy on a cold day|
Freekeh which is smoked green wheat or green wheat, is a common dish in Jordan. Check Wikipedia for info on how it is processed and prepared. In the market, you can find two types of Freekeh; the whole grain one used in dishes in place of rice (check my Freekeh Recipe), and the fine or crushed Freekeh used in soups.
|Whole Freekeh on the left side; Fine or crushed Freekeh on the right side|
Freekeh has a very distinctive taste that you either love or hate. The majority of people I know, including me, love it. Outside of the Middle East, you can buy Freekeh from Middle Eastern or Arab specialty stores
Freekeh soup is very simple to make and is very healthy, as Freekeh is whole grains. It is also comforting on cold days or when you are down with a flu! My daughters loves this soup so much and are ready to eat it for lunch and dinner for several days. I usually make a large portion of Freekeh Soup to last 2-3 days and still hear complains when it is finished!
Freekeh - Smoked Green Wheat - Soup Recipe:
Preparation time: 20 min Cook time: 2 hour
Preparing the Chicken
1 whole chicken (about 1.2 kg)
1 small cinnamon stick
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon whole black pepper
2 cloves garlic
1 medium onion cut in half
1 whole carrot skin removed
1 teaspoon salt
2 carrots, finely grated
1¼ cup fine/crushed Freekeh
How to make Freekeh Soup:
- Cut chicken from the middle and wash well. After that, I like to scrub the chicken with 1/2 a lemon, leave it for a few minutes then rinse.
- Place all the ingredients for preparing the chicken in a pan, add water to cover the chicken and at least 3-4 centimeters more. You need a lot of stock.
- Cook, covered, over medium heat until chicken is tender. Remove the chicken from the water and leave on a tray to cool. While still warm (easier to handle), remove all the skin and bones.
- Wash the freekeh.
- Pass the chicken stock through a sieve into the pan you will use to prepare the soup. You should have around 12-14 cups of chicken stock.
- Add the chicken pieces, grated carrots and the freekeh. Boil until Freekeh is done; about 20 minutes.
- If you want the Freekeh Soup to be more watery, add some water.
- Taste and, if needed, season with additional salt and black pepper .
|Comfy Freekeh soup|
Hope you enjoyed today's easy recipe: Freekeh - Smoked Green Wheat - Soup Recipe. Bon appetite.
اضغط الرابط للحصول على وصفة شوربة الفريكة باللغة العربية