Middle Eastern cuisine is known for its massive selection of appetizers, referred to as "Mazze". One of the most popular mazes is Baba Ghanoush or Baba Ghanouj.
Baba Ghanoush is prepared with roasted eggplants. A simple google search will yield many versions of Baba Ghanoush, however, in most websites the recipe listed for Baba Ghanoush is for roasted eggplants with Tahini (sesame paste), which in Jordan is quite different that our traditional Baba ghnoush dish. The roasted eggplants with Tahini is another middle Eastern appetizer that we call Muttabal (click for recipe). The appetizer we refer to as Baba Ghanoush is also prepared with roasted eggplants, but instead of mixing it with Tahini it is mixed with finely diced tomatoes and parsley and blended with a lemon-oil dressing. Some also prepare it with a dressing that includes Pomegrante that is also very good.
In some countries in the Middle East this dish is named: eggplant salad.
Baba Ghanoush Recipe
Preparation time: 20 min Cook time: 60 min
2 large eggplants (aubergines) about 450 grams each, roasted and peeled
2 cloves garlic (medium-large size), minced
2 medium tomatoes
¼ cup parsley
¼ cup fresh lemon juice
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 ¼ teaspoons salt (start with 1 tsp. and if needed add more salt)
How to make Baba Ghanoush:
- First you need to roast and peel the eggplants (check my post on how to peel eggplants). Then place eggplants in sieve to drain.
- Chop eggplants into small pieces.
- Chop tomatoes into small pieces and mix with the chopped eggplants.
- Finely chop the parsley and add to the chopped eggplants.
- Place the garlic cloves and the salt in the garlic crusher and pound until you have a paste.
- Add the lemon juice and the olive oil to the crushed garlic and and mix well. Pour over the eggplants and mix well.
- Arrange the Baba Ghanoush in your serving plate. You can garnish with chopped walnuts if you want.
Hope you enjoyed today’s easy appetizer recipe: Baba Ghanoush; a traditional Middle Eastern dish. Bon appetite.
Which do you prefer Muttabal or Baba Ghanoush?
اضغط الرابط لقراءة وصفة البابا غنوج باللغة العربية