My youngest daughter wanted rainbow cupcakes for her birthday party. She has been asking for them every since she saw them on the web… you can say it was love at first sight!!!
Well, I cannot blame her… these bright, colorful, attractive mini delights are a definite kid pleaser. Even us, the older kids, cannot but be magically drawn to them. Although they may appear to be difficult to put together, these delightful cupcakes are quite simple to make.
Many of the recipes I saw online used ready-mix white cake. I am sure these cupcakes will turn well with ready mix cakes, but personally I like to make my cakes from scratch! I like to know exactly what is in them, plus I usually like to reduce the sugar in my cakes... a habit I picked up when I was trying to lose that extra pregnancy weight. LOL… I am sure that the best way to fast lose that weight was to cut all kinds of sweet, but what can I say… I am defenseless when it comes to sweets.
I was divided between using my lemon cake recipe or my vanilla cake recipe. Both are light in color, which would work well when coloring. Plus both cakes are moist and yummy and their batter is not too liquidy so the different colors will hold shape. I decided to use the vanilla cake batter as I was a little worried that not all 9-year olds might appreciate the refreshing, light flavor of lemon cake.
These cupcakes look amazing and are guaranteed to brighten your party and bring a smile to the kids’ faces!
Rainbow Cupcakes Recipe
Preparation time: 30 min Cook time: 20 min
Ingredients:(yield: 24 cupcakes)
1 cup yogurt
1 teaspoon soda bi-carbonate
3 cups flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup (200 grams or 7 oz) butter, softened
1 2/3 cup sugar (use the finer sugar variety for better results)
3 teaspoons vanilla extract
4 egg whites (large eggs), room temperature
1 large egg, room temperature
1/4 cup milk
1 portion of the cream cheese frosting recipe from dish-away
1 cup whipped cream (I use the dry packages and prepare according to instructions)
How to make Rainbow Cupcakes Recipe:
- Mix the yogurt with the soda and set aside.
- Mix the flour, baking powder and salt together. Set aside.
- Beat the butter well. Very important to have the butter softened by removing it from the fridge at least an hour before you start preparing your cake.
- Add the sugar and vanilla to the creamed butter, and mix at high until all are mixed well.
- Add the flour mixture and beat until you have a crumbly texture - more dough-like batter.
- Add the egg whites, one at a time, beating well and scraping the sides of the bowl in between. Add the one whole egg last.
- Add the milk and beat. Then add the yogurt mixture in three batches beating in between and scraping the sides of the bowl .
- Open oven at 350° to preheat. We open the oven after we finish preparing the batter because coloring the batter and assembling the cupcakes takes time!
- Line the cupcake pans with cup cake liners.
- Divide the batter into separate bowls depending on the number of colors you want to use. I used six colors.
- Add the food coloring to the individual batters. I used six colors: red, blue, green, yellow, purple (mix red and blue for purple), and orange (mix yellow with a drop of red for orange). For more vibrant colors use extra coloring (don’t worry about ruining the batter as I have reduced the liquid called for in the recipe to allow for using more food coloring).
- Use a teaspoon to pour one teaspoon of each colored batter in the cupcake liners. After you put one teaspoon of each color, repeat again and pour another teaspoon of each colored batter. Use small teaspoon so as to have room for putting 2 separate teaspoons of each color. If you use a larger teaspoon and add more batter you will not be able to put 2 portions of each color in the cupcake.
- Bake in preheated oven for 18-20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove from pan, set aside to cool. See how beautiful they look even without the frosting!!
- When completely cooled. Prepare the cream cheese frosting from dish-away according to the instructions in my recipe.
- Add a few drops of blue food coloring and mix until the color of the cream cheese is similar to the color of the sky.
- Frost all the cupcakes with the blue cream cheese frosting. You need one thin layer of frosting.
- Whip the whipping cream. Fill the cream cheese into a nylon bag.
- Cut a small tip at the bottom corner of the bag, and pipe the whipped cream on top of the blue cream cheese frosting to resemble a cloud.
- For rainbows cupcakes like the picture below that my daughter pulled from the web, your need rainbow colored candy strips (they are sweet sour candy stripes). Cut and arrange over the whipped cream clouds in a rainbow shape. you will have to insert the ends into the cupcakes so they don’t fall.
- Unfortunately the week of my daughters birthday, I couldn’t find any of the candy rainbow stripes in the market!!!! I must have gone to more than 10 stores that week!!! So I used colored sprinkles to sprinkle on top of the whipped cream clouds. Beautiful!!!
These cupcakes are incredibly attractive; not only from the outside, but from the inside as well!!! They are sure to cheer you, and your guests, up!
Hope you enjoyed today’s easy sweet recipe: Rainbow Cupcakes; perfect for parties and kid fun activities. Happy eating!
اضغط الرابط لقراءة وصفة كعيكات قوس قزح، رينبو كب كيك باللغة العربية