These butter cookies are a special request from a fan I feel so happy when I get a request for one of my favorite recipes… it gives me a good EXCUSE to prepare and indulge my sweet tooth, and these butter cookies are a perfect example. I love them!!! But given the calories involved, I try to only prepare these yummy butter cookies when there is an occasion, and getting a special request for these butter cookies is certainly a good enough occasion!
I noticed that some refer to these butter cookies as sugar cookies; I still haven’t figured out what is the different between butter cookies and sugar cookies?!? Is it the ratio of butter to sugar? Anyway, whichever name you choose to call them, these classic white cookies - that I call butter cookies - taste good and can be beautifully decorated into exotic small yummy goodies.
The beauty of these cut-out butter cookies is that they can be prepared for any occasion. During Christmas time use Christmas tree, bells, snowflakes, and stars cutout cookie shapes. During Easter use bunny, egg and chicks cutout cookie shapes. Hearts for valentines and birthdays. Stars and crescent for Eid. There is no limit to the shapes and forms you can make with this simple dough!
Butter Cookies Recipe
Pcreparation time: 20 min Cook time: 10 min
2½ cups flour
3/4 cup corn flour (starch)
1 cup powder sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoons lemon zest
200 grams (7 oz.) butter, 2 sticks butter at room temperature
3 large eggs
1½ teaspoon vanilla
How to make Butter Cookies Recipe:
- Rind the lemon for the lemon zest. Take care to only rind the outer yellow skin and not the white pulp as that can give a bitter taste.
- In a bowl Mix the flour, corn flour, baking powder and salt.
- In mixer beat the eggs well.
- Add the lemon zest and vanilla to the egg mixture and beat well.
- Add the powder sugar and beat until incorporated.
- Add half of the butter to the egg mixture and beat until creamed.
- Add 1/3 of the flour mixture and beat.
- Add the other half of the butter and beat well.
- Change the paddles of the mixer to the dough paddles, then add the remaining flour mixture gradually while beating all the time until you add the whole flour mixture amount.
- You will notice that the dough is very soft, don’t worry. Tightly wrap the bowl with the dough and chill in the fridge for about 2 hours. Chilling the dough will make it harden and take shape.
- Heat oven to 350° Fahrenheit.
- Remove dough from fridge in portions (it is best to roll out the dough while chilled, although this butter cookies dough is very easy to handle and work with).
- Place dough on a waxed paper, cover with another waxed paper and roll the dough between the waxed paper. You need the dough thickness to be about half a centimeter (1/4 inch).
- With cookie cutter, cut dough into desired shapes.
- Line trays with waxed paper. Place cookies on baking trays keeping some distance between cookies but not to much as these butter cookies don’t expand a lot during baking.
- Bake butter cookies for 8 to 10 minutes. Exact baking time depends on the thickness of your cookies and on their size. You need to remove the butter cookies from the oven just as their bottom starts to change color.
- Glaze or frost you butter cookies. Try my sugar glaze recipe for an easy and quick way to frost these yummy butter cookies.
Hope you enjoyed today’s easy sweet recipe: Butter Cookies. Bon appetite.
What is your favorite cookie?
اضغط الرابط لقراءة وصفة بسكويت الزبدة باللغة العربية